- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2013 and 2014 Energy & Natural Resources (Experts Based Abroad)
- The International Who’s Who of Oil & Gas Lawyers 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014
- The State Bar of Texas
- The Louisiana State Bar Association
Mauricio Alvarado is an expert energy and natural resources attorney licensed to practice law in both Colombia and the United States (Texas). He is one of the founding partners of O&G Energy and Natural Resources Attorneys (currently SMPS Legal), a full service law firm dedicated to the energy and natural resources industry, including oil & gas (upstream and downstream), mining, energy (including power generation and transmission), water and energy infrastructure projects with a Latin American regional expertise.
Over the years, Mr. Alvarado has developed his practice on a regional basis. In addition to his extensive experience in Colombia and the United States, Mr. Alvarado has done a significant amount of work in several countries in Latin America, Europe and the Caribbean, representing clients in corporate and transactional work involving high-end, sophisticated transactions.
He is ranked by Chambers Global as Energy & Natural Resources (Experts Based Abroad) and has been recognized as an Oil & Gas expert by the International Who’s Who of Oil & Gas Lawyers 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. He has served as Council Member and Member of the Executive Committee of the Inter-American Bar Association and previously served as President of the Public and Private International Law Committee from 1995 to 2007. He is a former Director and founding member of the Hispanic Bar Association, and a former Director of the Inter-American Chamber of Commerce, both in Houston, Texas.
He was a founding partner and the Head of the Oil & Gas Practice of Norton Rose Fulbright Colombia S.A.S (formerly Macleod Dixon). He worked with the international law firm of Vinson & Elkins and with Amoco Corporation (now part of BP), both in Houston, Texas, where he represented new and existing clients on matters relating to high-level and sophisticated international transactions and ventures, including ongoing international exploration and production, oil, natural gas, power generation and energy privatization projects in several Latin American countries.
He was formerly general counsel and head of the legal department of a worldwide financial group with headquarters in Houston, Texas and operations in the United States, Latin America, Europe and the Caribbean.
- J.D., South Texas College of Law, 1990
- LL.M. (International Law), Louisiana State University, 1988
- LL.M. (Financial and Insurance Law), Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, 1985
- J.D., Universidad de los Andes Bogotá, 1984
Fluent in Spanish, English and French
Mauricio is an expert energy and natural resources attorney licensed to practice law in both Colombia and the United States (Texas).
Mauricio specializes in representing clients on matters relating to high-level and sophisticated international transactions and ventures, including ongoing international exploration and production, oil, natural gas, power generation and energy privatization projects in several Latin American countries.
- The American Bar Association
- The Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- The International Bar Association
- The American Society of International Law
- The Inter-American Bar Association
- The Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
News and Events